Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tahoe 2012

      We decided to take a drive up to our old haunting grounds.
                    Truckee, Floriston & Lake Tahoe

          The Yuba River runs in front of the historic Rainbow lodge. (which I didn't photograph for some stupid reason or another)


I did get a view of some of the original buildings that date back to 1890's


Standing on about 5 feet of snow.


Just around the corner from here is a cafe that is dedicated to the Donner Party with menu items like Mrs Murphy calves or leg bones. Not to squash the history but many scientists currently are saying that cannibalism may not have occurred as reported. After inspecting thousands of bone fragments at the site, all belong to animal families.


This beautiful bridge had a historical marker on it, but it was buried in about 7 feet of snow and I didn't feel like trudging up there...still a great view of Donner Lake where Donna and I spent many a 4th of July's watching fireworks, many years ago.


I was surprised to see snow piled in front of the train snow sheds and was curious if they were using another route because these did not look like any train had used it in some time.


Donna and I bought our first home here in Floriston that was at one time a company town and the location of the worlds largest pulp mill.


You had to go thru two of these tunnels to get to the town of Floriston.



Our old house...all 840 square feet of it!


Stopped in Truckee (we lived here too) at the train station and asked about the train snow sheds. The lady told us that the old sheds are used by hikers now but some new ones were built to accommodate the doubledecker trains.


I couldn't remember the last time I saw a gas station like this so...of course I shot it!



At Lake Tahoe,  I first learned to beach start (water skiing) here because you really didn't want to sit in 56 degree water waiting to yell "hit it" to the ski boat.


There are very few sites as beautiful as this view of Emerald Island on Lake Tahoe.













--

1 comment:

Nona said...

Wish I could have met you up in Tahoe. If you get that way again, let me know & we can meet in tiny Alpine County! :)