Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I had originally done this workup on owning my Tundra for her 10 year birthday and just recently found it in my documents. (see Jack, I don't throw everything away) I had posted this on a social media website three years ago and realized by putting it here I'll always have it. 
I paid cash in 2000 so there are no interest payments. In 2011 I handed my baby off to my daughter-in-law when it had 206,000 miles on the odometer. The last time I saw the truck was three months ago and it still looks beautiful but now has 225,000 miles. I miss my baby but she has found a good home.


First off let me explain that I have way too much time on my hands but I was thinking of my truck on it's upcoming 10th birthday this month. 
I'll attempt to run down some maintenance figures for the last ten years just to see what it costs.
 If anyone see a problem with my calculations please, by all means correct it.

My 2000 Tundra 1/2 ton was bought new in January 2000. No payments because its was a cash deal.

Now I was wondering how many times the engine revolved in the last 10 years and I had some help at work figuring it out. (not being a math major an all)
My tundra just turned 185,000 miles last month. Never been in a accident, fender-bender or really so much as a scratch on the body. In fact
I've never replaced a bulb or headlight in all this time.

I am estimating that I have averaged around 60 MPH during this time because I drive 80-85 on freeway and 40 or 50 in town and 
most of my miles were on the freeway. I also run 2000 RPM at 60 but will figure RPM a little higher 2300, do to freeway miles.

60 (minutes) X 2300 RPM = 138,000 revolutions per hour
185,000 (miles) ÷ 60 MPH = 3,083
138,000 (revolution per hour) X 3,083 = 425,454,00 revolution! Almost a half a BILLION without ever missing a beat.

But what has this all cost me?
I've averaged 6000 miles between oil changes  30 of them at say $27 each.......................................................................$810
Four air filters @ $24....................................................................................$96
Four sets of windshield wipers................................................................................$72
Three sets of tires (the last being $940)...............................................................................$2,240
Two major tune-ups @80k and 160K................................................................................$2,156
Three brake jobs.....................................................................................$690
Throttle body (this year)..................................................................................$1435
Camper shell...................................................................................$890
One set of MacPherson Struts.................................................................................$375



Ok...here is the biggie, FUEL
I get on average 15 MPG ÷ 185000 miles = 12,333 gallons (bit of a gas hog)
I set an average gas price at $1.58 for no other reason than it sounded right.
 12,333 X $1.58 (average)=.............................................$19,486
Add insurance for ten years at $900 per year...................................................................................$9,000 
Add another $2000 for car washes and anything I left out such as batteries..........................................................................$2,000
Total............TADAA..........................................................$39,250
The price of my baby was.................................................$27,995
Total to look good the last ten years..................................................................................$67,245!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TUNDRA! ( I miss you)




No comments: