Friday, August 17, 2012

Lemhi Pass to Dillon, Montana

Lemhi Pass road started for us in Idaho right off hwy 28 in the little town, really little with only one building I could see, of Tendoy, ID. Lemhi Pass is a National Historic Landmark that is a well maintained 30 mile dirt road up and over the Beaverhead and Salmon mountains.

This is the only store I could find and it had an appropriate vehicle out front.


Just 5 miles up the trail we passed this cowboy yelling at some cattle off the side of the road. Of course I had to stop and go over to talk to him about his job. Emmitt, and his beautiful pony, was out screaming at the cows to get out of the creek. This was confusing because we were in open range, on a hot day, and even I wanted to get in the creek and I don't wear a hair coat. Seems Emmitt has to go up there everyday to make an attempt to chase the cows away from the creek because of the protected "bull trout", that's according to fish & game (good ole' Uncle Sam). Pretty good job security Emmitt, huh?


This has to be one of the top 10 back-roads we have been on.


We enjoy stopping to read the historical markers but I have say as great as Chief Joseph and Lewis/Clark expedition were, if it wasn't for those three remarkable folks... there might only be as many historical markers as my hands has fingers.


Need I say more? haha



Although not heavily advertised or promoted, the pass has ample maps and guides along the way so you shouldn't get lost.


On a clear day at the top (smoke from fires below) Donna could of seen four states... Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington.


We got see some of the turn of the century cabins.


This one still had some of the sod roof attached to it.


It was nice to see along the nearly 30 drive, people have allowed the many log cabins to remain preserved or at the very least weather naturally.


The road took us 10 miles through this ranch .


There were three of these boards that we saw for different sections of the ranch that denotes past and present owners.


This beautiful example of a "jack-fence" ran for miles.


These pronghorn are a skittish breed. We stopped on the road to watch some archers unload from their truck. I have no idea how they plan on getting within 50 or so yards...they run like hell when we stopped here about 300 yards away.


Donna took this awesome shot of Armstead Island in the Clark Canyon Reservoir. I feel stupid because I questioned her wasting "even" digital film because of all the surrounding smoke or haze...what do I know?


LUNCH BREAK!!!


The Hotel Metlen in Dillon, Montana is for sale... can someone give me $1.2 million! Right near the railroad tracks so you would have a steady flow of all that "railroad" traffic. lol


I'd like to stay there just so I could say I did...check out the web site, beautiful interior.


Unfortunately we had just eaten 40 miles up the road. Anyone can eat a taco from a roach coach, but who can say that they had one in a "Taco Bus"? haha























No comments: