Saturday, May 7, 2016

MY MOTHER...CHARLENE LOUISE ZWART (SHACKLETT) 1924-1978

MOTHERS DAY. May 8th 2016


They say a mother's love is UNCONDITIONAL? Trust me, I tested that theory from top to the bottom for at least 5 years. I gave my mother every excuse in the world to disavow me...she never did. She saw something in me that took many years for me to find. 

Most Mother's Day I would celebrate Donna, the mother of our son, but now I'll leave that job to Jason.
Mom died of pancreatic cancer in 1978 at the age of 54 and missed so much of the successes of her children. Some were successful in business and some of us were successful in life itself, all of us have been successful as caring human beings. Mom did leave us someone we could always turn to, someone we could always look up to and someone to stay with us and keep us safe until...all were fully grown, Dad.



Mom was a gifted athlete, smart as a whip and beautiful to boot. Her and dad met while she was still in high school.





It all started in 1942 when mom was just 18 years old. 




Their first of 6 kids, Jackie, was born 1 1/2 years later. If he looks a little old here it is because I couldn't find a younger one.



Mom, front and center, with my aunt Marie cooking up some treat I suppose. I'll date this between 1945-1950.




Soon after my older brother was born, came sister Jeanne. (I misspelled her name on the slide...she hates that)




I came along a couple years later. I have always loved this photo even though the focus is off...or maybe...because the focus is off.



Mom and dad took about seven break before adding a sister to the family...Teri.



Brother Joe, in the dark seater, followed a few years after Teri.




We thought our parents were done after Joe, but about seven years later our last sister, to round out an even number, was born...Chrissy. (the one with her thumb in her mouth)

Have you ever heard the term "saved the best for last"? 






We camped in the Sierra's, two weeks during the summer and usaully went to Borrego Springs for one week of camping in the winter.




All through the 1940's up until about 1961 we camped every summer, most times more than once. Dad built this trailer for mom, so a cabinet popped up at the end and she had everything needed for cooking. In 1961 mom and dad bought a lot in Big Bear and built a weekend cabin for us...that was the end to camping.



Some might think I grew up privileged because we were always loved, went to private schools, camping and vacation homes in the mountains and the desert, but mom and dad were so frugal with their money that not once did I see them buy an inferior product. If they bought something, you could be sure it would last for decades.
While not the perfectly behaved child, I loved both parents very much and think of them daily. I've been so lucky to have received good advice from two strong women in my life, both of whom died of cancer, unfortunately I only listened to one of them.

Happy Mother's day Mom, I love you.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tom, very nice tribute, she'd be very proud of all of us.
Joe