Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Coeur d'Alene Unlimted Jet boat racing


There were time trials this week on the Coeur d'Alene River, so I thought the dogs and I could go watch them...besides, it was free other than gas. 
Thirty-six teams from America, New Zealand, Mexico, and Canada are competing on the 30-mile river run from Harrison to Cataldo, Idaho with speeds up to 150 mph. 

Below is a short stitching of just a few of my videos, easier this way than to post separate movies.





The day started out with some drizzle but cleared up for the most part by the afternoon.


The boats do not race side-by-side but leave the starting line at 1-minute intervals. They race from Harrison to Cataldo in timed trials, then 30 minutes later the start racing down the river to Harrison. They did this 4 times today and I really have no idea what they will be doing on race day.


This is their makeshift garage and workspace in Harrison.


The speed is deceptively slow.


Those wings on the front and some have them on the rear, are to keep the boats from flying off the water. 


Of course not every racers day is without some problems.


I get a little more of the feel of speed from the shoreline.


Coeur d'Alene Lake is a beauty, no doubt about it.


It looked like there were roads completely around much of the lake within my view.


The river and lake have a good population of white pelicans.


Geese and many other waterfowl.


I even spotted some floating homes.

I enjoy experiencing new things, even if it required a 2 1/2 hour drive with my well-mannered dogs (NOT) in the car to see the sights...lol






No comments: