Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Lower California Deserts.



After 25 years working in Las Vegas, when Donna and I retired, neither one of us wanted much to do with sand or cactus. 

This last fall I was reminded by my BFF Nona of how much we  enjoyed our stay in Desert Hot Springs, at the Sam's Family Spa and Mineral Hot Water Springs. Ok, I'll stop there for a month...well, almost three months later I am just now starting to  get ready to move to the beaches of Northern L.A. as I star to head home.


Here are just some of the highlights of my stay.




My first order of business was stopping in on Donna's girlfriends Christmas party. Lots of tears, wine, food and just great displays of love from these girls.




After being here for two months I was able to make it back up to Las Vegas to spread some ashes on Donna's tree, in Cornerstone Park, Henderson, Nevada where her girlfriends had a tree planted in her memory.





Making new RV friends and socializing.  




My friend Dave came up to spend the night.




Nona kept me company for New Years Eve plus Donna's and my anniversary...the next day.




 I had a wonderful day with Duane and family.




Catching up with past flames.




Making very sweet new flames.




Visits from family, sister Teri.




I've seen an abundance of signs from Donna here in the desert, either walking or sky gazing.




Never at a loss of being reminded of my baby.  





The sunsets and sunrises (when I can get up to view) are so dramatic...!




When the weather cools down, accompanied by a storm, it brings out such beautiful scenery.




Shortly after Donna's passing I realized that I was a wreck. High blood pressure, overweight and stressed to the max. Never having been considered an athlete, I found walking to be a very comfortable fit for me.





I am such a creature of comfort that I would walk the same highway, the same time and the same pace every day. I hit a roadblock with this exercise until my bestie, Judy, cautioned me to mix it up, change the route, change the time and for god sakes...get off the roadway.




Since I was pushed into expanding my exercise, I have a new love of the surrounding landscape.



 There are so many cool structures that people have obviously spent hours building. 



Someone used rocks to build a patio, on top of a hill, then sat this chair for all to utilize...a lot of time was spent here thinking about Donna's early removal from my life.



Continuing my hiking up the hill is such an emotional release.



I had been walking this canyon for weeks without getting to the very end of it... Finally, I talked to a hiker that had been the way up and she told me it was only a 1/2 mile further. I pushed on and did hit the "end of the trail". Unless you want to risk your life, that is the END! The polished rock behind me is a result of flash flooding.




Really? Why would you dump a couch out here in the middle of the desert...it's not like anyone is going to sit on this nasty thing!




I love looking at the different cairn's and how they are constructed. I assume this one may of been built by an architect.  




The owner of this cairn was really thinking outside the box...I loved it.




I will assume this was done by a middle child...with low expectations!.




Now this guy is just plain showing off!



I hope this is not my last desert blog, but if it is...I have gained a whole new appreciation of this valley.








1 comment:

Patrick Comey said...

Thanks for sharing. I recognized one of the old flames!