Thursday, February 18, 2016

Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...commonly called PCT


Today's afternoon hike is dedicated to one of Donna's BFF's, Kathleen...who had an emergency appendectomy operation yesterday. Kathleen has always been a "warrior queen" to Donna, and looked up to Kathleen for friendship and advice.


This mornings walk, was sorta brutal with its 25 mile per hour winds, and I really hate to be forced indoors, so I had to think outside the box for my afternoon walk.
I remembered that a starting point for the PCT was just outside the Whitewater Preserve nearly 5 miles up a canyon about 15 miles away and thought the canyon would block the wind. I was right...the winds were less than 5 miles an hour when I arrived.
Going north was the plan, trying to reach "Red Dome" a little further than 2 miles up the PCT.


Just a couple hundred yards from the parking lot I cross into the famous Mt San Gorgonio Wilderness Area. In the past, I had fantasized about hiking the PCT for days at a time and have done a few two or three day hikes...but the PCT is 2600 miles long! While it is not on my "present" bucket list, I see no problem adding it in the future. Kathleen is quite the hiker, maybe we could team up for a long PCT hike someday.


My first big obstacle was fording the mighty White River. At nearly 4 feet wide and 1 inch deep, I needed to worry about the rapid current carrying me miles down stream. Luckily, there was a wooden bridge to help me safely cross the body of water.


I may make light of the White River, but judging by its flood plain, I'd say it can be a monster under the right conditions.


Not sure if this very warm February is pushing the flowers out early, or maybe this is normal.


Looking back towards the valley...I was so impressed by its beauty.


Two miles up the canyon I finally came to the "Red Dome". It is striking, sitting all by itself on the flood plain. The ranger couldn't answer if this was part of the Morrison Formation... I was bummed that they didn't answer and an internet search offered no additional clues.
(My friend Sam, who is a geologist, informed me that the formation is Coachella Formation from the Miocene age)


This is your hike Kathleen...you warrior girl!


I wanted this last shot to show the layers of sedimentation from millions of years of oceans depositing its microorganisms...then I noticed "OUR" girl looking down on us...wow!




No comments: