Sunday, June 7, 2015

Donna's Memorial Service in Las Vegas


No guarantees, but this should do it for the memorial portion of the blogs. This is not to say it will be the last of Donna...not by a long shot, but I hope to dwell more on the good memories after this blog.


This is the fun loving soul mate I remember most, someone who pushed away thoughts of herself to make sure I'm doing ok. "Of course, " I said, lying through my teeth.



Duane, my best friend, was gracious enough to allow me to stay the week at his house...in fact had I not, he would of been angry. Here Duane is dressed for work, but off the next three so we could get organized. (and bar hop) 

I guess now I am a real "Lone Wolf" so the tee shirt is appropriate. 



One of our first stops was at PT's on Eastern Blvd. It was a hangout for Duane, Donna and I and brings back so many fond memories. It's wonderful to sit out and have a beer...when it's not 110 degrees of course.




Here is beautiful Sierra with her mother Anna at the memorial. Anna was Donna and my barmaid for years at PT's. We must go back at least 5 years or more. Anna was much more than a waitress to Donna, she loved her and acted like an expectant grandmother while Anna had her pregnancy. Whenever we went to PT's it had to be Anna who took care of us, none other would do. Donna liked good people, always did, always will.




While landing in Vegas I noticed this huge bright light from thousands of feet up in the air and at the center of a solar energy field. I foolishly mentioned to my brother Joe that it would be so cool to see at night...he just kind of looked at me and reiterated, "it's a solar field". Duh!

Anyway, my grandson and I had the day to ourselves so we drove out to get a closer look. Wow, that is one bright ass light coming off all those mirrors. (my words, not Riley's)



Next stop was the Shelby Museum and Riley picked the exact car I would of picked, and it was for sale. I told Riley that he had the wrong Opa with him if he wanted to buy this GT40.




I couldn't have accomplished putting the memorial together without Donna's girlfriends. Each and every one of them were an immense help, from picking the site, food, decorating, drinks and posting notices for me.

I believe that Carie was instrumental in pushing the city of Henderson to plant this tree in Donna's honor. It will never come down, but if a storm damages it, the city promises to replace the tree.



Good Dutch stock here. I enjoy getting together with my brothers and sisters, but lately it always seems to be the sad occasions that draw us to one another. One sister is missing and I'll give her a pass because her husband had an operation the day before, and also because she came up and spent time with Donna in Seattle...which I very much appreciate.



Next will be some photo's of people at the memorial. I didn't get all but was able to shoot a few. Here are my cousin Suzy, sister-in-law Dayle, brother Jack and cousin Janis.



Our very, very long time friends, Nona and Sam. 😄




Sister Teri and husband Randy. Teri was with me the last days in the hospital and it was such a big help to have a shoulder to cry on, thanks Sis.




Brother Joe and his wife Cindy, with Nona. Joe and Cindy came up to visit Donna at our house last summer after her first bout of chemo.




Cathy and Kathleen, two of Donna's best friends and part of the lunch bunch.




Anna and myself.




Duane and his beautiful daughter Tiara.




A whole bunch of Donna's co-workers with the lunch bunch mixed in. There were many more that stopped by to pay respects, among them were her bosses Michael Kennedy, Jim McCluney (sp) and my boss Alan Mehr with his lovely wife.




This was a gang of people that worked with Donna in Reno some of which either flew or drove quite a ways to attend.  There is Gloria, Carol, Judy, Mike and Kathy. Two that drove from a long way off, but were not in the photo are Dave and Wendie Catron, also ex Reno folks.




My sister Chrissy was another sibling that came up to Seattle for a few days to spend time with Donna. Chrissy was also my "go to gal" when it came to medical questions. I've got the best family...just saying!




Mychael Powell was the only "Kansas" family member that could make it to the service, it did help that he lives in Vegas.

That's our son Jason opposite of me. 


A beautiful assortment of photo's and a Zebra wood box built by hand for Donna by her son.



Carie, standing up, was a huge help in acquiring the site for the memorial. Cathy among other things brought Donna's and my favorite concoction, Sangria.


Charlene in the middle, single handedly wrote the obit for me with information gathered from Donna's friends. Donna's sister, then put the obit to work with lamination and tulips in the background for the memorial. Kathleen was one of Donna's co-workers. This Kathleen, plus lunch bunch Kathleen and Donna all gave up some vacation time to work at a children's underprivileged summer camp.



Charlene and Trish's handiwork. 

I feel bad that I don't have one photo of Donna's sister at the memorial, but she did fly in for the day from Sacramento. 


Our son Jason and grandson Riley.


We had balloons from Kathleen and marking pens from Anna so it was decided to write messages to Donna, then release in mass.


Donna's nieces, Eleanor and Mallori, got into the act with some extraordinarily good handwriting abilities for such young'ns.


One, two, three...let fly!


Without regard to possible environmental issues with the release of the balloons, if there are any... it was such an emotional tribute.


After a long debate with myself on how to end this blog, please know that I am not trying to shock you, I just want Donna's family and friends to see how cancer can beat you up.
Even with all the pain and suffering evident in this photo, all I see is my beautiful bride of nearly 40 years.








No comments: