Thursday, June 11, 2015

Life continues...Just at a slower pace in Colville, Wa.


I will keep blogging whenever I come across something that may be of interest, to at least one other individual in the world.


Ah... The circus is to coming town! The Culpepper and Merriweather Circus (I've never heard of them) plopped down at the Northeastern Fairgrounds here in Colville. It's interesting that in our travels we saw a lot of fairgrounds but most were, at the edge of town...not Colville, dead center!


I saw a group of mothers and children gathered around listening to one of the workers so I investigated. It was the lions and tigers they were watching.


But of course, a mainstay of any circus are the lions (which they had) and tigers. It looked big, beautiful, but seemly docile...not that I would pet it. I know this is an experience people in small towns don't get to see often, but I still think the tiger would look even more beautiful...in the wild.



I think every kid, when he is 5 or 6, would dream of the exciting life working in a circus. After watching these three pound over a 100 stakes in the ground I'm kind of glad my childhood dream disappeared. 


The local paper stated that the circus would raise the "Big Top" between 9 and 10 am. Not! By 11 it was just laying there and I had to get home to the dogs. This did give me a good opportunity to try out the panorama feature on the iPhone 6 because I plan on using it in Europe at the end of the summer.


Of course, as soon as I left ...the top was raised so I still have no idea how it's done, darn!


As far as I can remember I have never been to an "actual" circus so I am tempted to go this weekend. Of course I've also never been to a rodeo either and one is here in town on Fathers Day...guess I've lived a sheltered life.


Ok, back to Colville. I really can't say or express enough just how much I love the area. I've always dreamed of living in a vibrant small "Podunk" town and it finally came true. No Costco or Home Depot, but instead we have a lumber company, Ace Hardware and Wally-Mart to take up the slack.


Up and down the main street of Colville are these huge, up to 4 feet across, flower baskets filled with mostly Columbine. I liked them so much I asked the Chamber of Commerce where they purchased them. I was told and called Spokane but was informed they were $79 per basket.


I have 4 baskets at home that are no where near as large as the ones in town, but they also only cost $15 each from the high school horticulture class. Donna made the beaded hangers that all 4 are equipped with.


Come around town any noon and have a blast...no really, have a BLAST!


The cost or inconvenience, of living in the country.


I'm doing a little experimenting with video on the blog so if any of them don't work as they should feel free to mention it. Sometimes the video work on my PC, but only because they are in my PC, I'm trying to use YouTube. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The videos worked great, nice blogging, almost like we're there, be sure to keep it up on the trip to Europe.
Joe