Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Colville Memorial to Donna (Granny)


     Time or not, I will tackle this blog now so I might move on and continue with my blogging. As far as I know, anyone that follows this blog is aware that my best friend of 39 years passed away while battling AML. The leukemia apparently did not kill my wife, according to the doctors, it was the chemo, radiation and the combination of horrific drugs that are used to control the disease that killed my sweetheart.


 One of my favorite shots of Donna (and one of the few times she was allowed outside during her 4 months at the hospital) a few weeks before her release back home.


Donna was so happy to be out of the hospital... hell, who wouldn't after the amount of time she spent there.
The drive home was wonderful and traveling again with the dogs was paramount to all else in Donna's world.




Things didn't work out like Donna and I wanted because she was soon back in Seattle on life support. My sister Teri and our son Jason came to stay with me while the inevitable was taking place. Donna passed among loving family members on March 15th, 2015.


Two weeks later I decided that a memorial was needed at our home for the local people that loved her and could not make a trip to Vegas. I love the photo of Donna talking, or playing, on the phone at about 6 years of ago. Also, out for all to see, were some of her scrapbooks that she would work on months at a time until just right. Tweety Bird is there because Donna loved that bird (along with tulips) from the day I met her.


Duane Brown of Las Vegas, who happens to be my best friend, flew up unannounced a couple of days before the Colville memorial to spend a little time with me, thanks buddy.


Every one of our neighbors came by to show respect to Donna, even though she really was only here for 6 months before being hospitalized.


My oldest son and family also came up for the day. Actually they came up for days before to help clean and donate some of Donna's stuff that would of been hard for me to do alone. There's Denny, Laura and our granddaughter, Ashely.


The "church" bench in the previous photo was built and donated by all our neighbors in Donna's memory. It sits on my back patio as a reminder of what wonderful people I am surrounded with.


A week after the memorial, Nona a friend of 40+ years, also came up to give me a little support after all had left. It was so nice of Nona to take the time to visit, although the whole time she was conniving on how to get Washington's water back to LA. No way girl...you live in a desert, raise cactus rather than lawns!

Next blog will be the Vegas Celebration of Life.





No comments: