Friday, August 22, 2014

Northeastern Washington Fair


As a youngster, I remember the largeness of the Los Angeles County Fair in Pomona...it was massive!
Years later, Donna and I spent a few summers at the California State Fair in Sacramento...and it was even larger with horse racing and water rides to boot.
Neither, and I really mean it...neither come close to dissecting a community better than a small county fair, it's all so personal.



What's a fair without a choice of local garden veggies grown by the kids in our valley.



Can't you have a summer fair without preserves! Not only do you have "Grandma Lucy's" famous apricot jams, there are many different religious groups such as the Mennonites and Quakers that display goodies that you might find on any summer day, at a roadside kiosk. 


Oh, what I would give to be a judge at the dessert display!


Local photography was well represented at the fair. I found instruction pamphlets that could help me in the future.


This Weasel, in winter white, was one of my favorites. He's a happy camper with the Meadow Vole hanging from his jaws.


Anita from the Washington State Master Gardener Program was a wealth of knowledge and information that, as a 1st year resident of Stevens County, could use. (Thank You)


A shot down the alley of information tents shows you that some weather could be on its way...yeah!


I talked to Chris and her daughter for a few minutes about what they are looking for when judging the families 4-H cattle.


Every time I see these walking beef cakes, I have visions of "flat iron" steaks. yummm


This group of young 4-H'ers are judging their own group members, nothing fancy here.


I saw this sign which reminded me of my granddaughter, also named Ashley. She's a babe, she loves beef, scarfs up bacon by the pound and is "beyond" her years.
Love you Ash...Opa.


Here ya go granddaughter...Opa will get you "Oscar". Do you like him?


Latest craze...a rat hat! Ha-ha This young lady had her pet rat from the Zoo Barn and was just taking the rodent out for a walk.


If a child can't get a rat to hang on your hat than I guess the next best thing is a "Tiger", painted on your face. 


Or maybe a skull face?


Well you most certainly can't have a county fair without the 
4-H'ers pig barn.


The pigs are not easy going animals. I saw two or three fights while watching some of the judging...nasty little characters. 


Sheep or lambs, not sure I know if there is a difference, but it's another farm animal that cannot be excluded from any of the events.


Is it weird that sheep wear "Afghans"?


One piece of advice missing on this board is...cougars! My neighbor across the street had his grand kids 4H lambs on his property for just one night last week..."one single night"...and one of our local cougars, who had a sweet tooth for lamb also, must of caught their sent. I can't say I blame him, I love "rack of lamb" too. (too is not a preposition) 


The fair concessionaires and workers all live in or around the fairgrounds RV park, which is closed to visitors during the fair.


Watching the equestrians handle a 1200 pound beast is awesome to a rookie like myself. I love horses, but have only ridden once and didn't like it!


Every day during the afternoon the fair has a local talent show, with judges. I'll assume they give the acts a pass, just for having the courage to get up on stage and perform.




This under 5 year old was so cute. Her sister ran up behind her to help when she got stuck on a verse...that's what families do, help each other out. I listened to 5 or 6 acts, although none of which could carry a tune, all were more couragous than I.


It's looking like I should skedaddle.



Final tidbit, when you have a 80 foot driveway and are as lazy as I am...this is how you bring back the empty garbage can from the road! haha














No comments: