Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Finding a place to park the motorhome

Last winter we parked the motorhome in a covered, but open sided shed about 13 miles from the house.


Although the top was covered and we had power to keep the batteries charged, it was a long way from our place. The Colville area has a shortage of places to park a 40 footer that is also 12 feet tall. 


While we love our motorhome and think it's beautiful, Donna and I both didn't like having our mountain views blocked.


This is what we see from our front door, kind of a bummer. I did have an idea stirring in my head, but it will require some blood, sweat and tears.


The sweat was from moving a cord and half of firewood, on the side of the garage, to a place behind the garage.
The tears were when I had to move the compost pile again. It's the fourth or fifth time I have moved it, but at least it keeps the compost mixed up.


After the wood and compost were removed it came time to tear out some bushes sitting in an elevated garden. It took weeks and hundreds of wheelbarrows full of plants, dirt and compost to get to this point. You can't imagine how my 66 year old back felt every night.


Okay, I may of told a "tall one" in the above paragraph, but that is exactly what would have happened had I not had a neighbor like Sue. Sue has this Bobcat tractor and has fun running around using it, so who am I to ruin any of her fun.


The owner/builder also laid huge blocks of some broken concrete sidewalk when making his garden wall.
It is so much easier moving the dirt and compost with one these toys...I know what I want for Christmas.


It's almost ready for our "home on wheels", as my grandson calls it.


All the concrete and compost are right back where Donna didn't want it this last spring. Lucky for me my neighbor Sue also has a dump truck! ☺ I really do need some "boy toys" if we are going to stay here full time. Lets see, my list to Santa would be something like this.
1. Quad to play in the mountains.
2. Boat so I could go fishing.
3. Electra Glide...just because!
4. Tractor so I could play too.
5. Old pickup truck.
I don't like my chances with any item on this wish list.


Five of these 8x8 railroad ties came out of the garden wall. I plan on hiring one of the local high school kids to dig a trench where the tires will be and lay the ties so 4 inches stick up, that way I'll keep the tires off the frozen ground. After that, I'll have a truck load of gravel brought in to put on top of the dirt.


When it is all finished the rig slides right back into its new home, very carefully.


It is still quite visible from the road, but a small improvement nonetheless. 


From the front porch it is much less noticeable than before and I get most of my mountain view back, yeah!


Now I can see if the UPS or the mail lady drive by. One of the things I like about the house is the ability to keep an eye out for who is driving in our neighborhood...that's what old people do, right?









1 comment:

Denny said...

great job on the new parking spot!