Saturday, July 26, 2014

Our November dinner comes a calling! And a little motorhome maintenance.

Since deer apples are few and far between this time of year (deer apple season is October to June) I have been putting out some "deer corn" that nearly every store sells in town, apparently I'm not the only deer feeding station around.


I found out recently that the wild turkeys love the corn too. Colville is known as the Wild Turkey Capital of the Pacific Northeast. Personally, I rather not shoot film through our fence, but if I get off my patio chair to film them they will surely will scatter, defensive mode I suppose. The young'uns are capable of flying for short distances at this stage.


Every time I make a movement, such as to sip some wine or adjust the camera, one of the three adults gives me the "stink eye"! Not really sure how they group together, but there always seems to be three or more adults, never a male, with a group of fifteen to thirty littles ones within their posse. 
Little known fact...American turkeys nearly went extinct by 1930 from loss of habitat and hunting.


As the group moved on one by one, they seemed to flap their wings as if they were "thumping their chests over getting the corn", even the babies. I seldom see Toms around, almost all that we see are females, so the Toms must either hang with other males or all alone?


A little battery maintenance was due on the motorhome. After hours of research I found the best and most economical solution for new batteries is to replace the four house 6 volt batteries with four 6 volt golf cart deep cycle ones. When I went to Costco to replace my old batteries the guy asked if I had a motorhome, "yes"...well he said, "that's what a lot of other owners have been doing the last few years".
While I had the old batteries out of the tray...I sanded, painted and WD40'd the rails...wow! Battery tray, now with 260 lbs of weight can now be pulled out with one finger...yesterday I had to grunt and strain to get it out.








No comments: