Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fresh fruit, summer storm and frolicking fawns

This week we start with some fresh fruit.


Sherman Creek Orchard is a familiar stop for Donna and I because later in the season I will buy lots of their "deer apples. The orchard is about 12 miles from the house so it's a pleasant drive to see what's "in season" at the time.


These apples are bruised, which makes them unfit for local markets, but the deer have no problem scarfing them down. My  little lawn buddies and I are waiting for October when a fresh supply of deer apples will be ready.


We have been here in the fall when the changing leaves of the orchard go from green to gold, purple, orange and red... it is stunning.


The family that owns the orchard told us the cherries have another week or so until they will be done for the year.


The cherries here are Bing and Rainier, not shown were the pie cherries which Donna said are tart. 


You can buy any of the varieties of cherries for $1.75 per pound out of the bin, or you can pick your own for just $1.25 lbs. Quite a difference from store bought ones at $3 or $4 a pound...and fresher too!


Besides cherries, apples and pears still a month away, now ready are these beautiful apricots. This variety is called "Tom Cots" (must be a local name because I couldn't find reference to it on the PC) and sell for $1.00 a pound. 


I was sitting on the back porch yesterday afternoon when some thunder clouds rolled in, bringing wind, rain and lightning. Very quickly the power went out so I thought this would be a good opportunity to go into town for some groceries.


Right where Corbett Creek meets Gold Creek (there are a lot of creeks up here ☺) my progress was blocked by a Stevens County fire truck.


Looking down the road, a fairly large tree was toppled in the wind storm, right across Gold Creek... my way into town.


Besides blocking the road, the tree brought down power lines. This is as close as I got, especially when the fireman told me to be careful because they were about to cut the branch laying on the power line and it could whip in any direction...he needn't have told me twice!
Bill, my neighbor who happens to work for Avista, was on the ball and had our power was back on within 30 minutes.


The family that plays together, stays together...right?


Papa's antlers already have good growth going on this summer and if he plans on being with the group next spring, he'd better be adept at hiding this coming hunting season. 


Donna and I are pretty sure this is the doe's little fawns and if we are right, they are the first twins this year to grace our yard.


Frolicking fawns were in the title and frolicking fawns it is...just another wonderful summer day in Northeast Washington.







No comments: