Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Spring landscaping 2014


As an on going project, we are trying our hardest to improve this little bit of "paradise" on the slopes of Paradis Peak. That's right, it's PARADIS PEAK, not a misspell. 


The former owners (whom which I have no love loss) planted 8 Leyland Cypress along the fence line outside our front patio. One, I don't like cypress plants of any kind and two, the Leyland Cypress can grow to 70 feet tall and 25 foot wide.


The tools of my trade are a rake, (for the bark) shovel and lots of really old muscle.


It wasn't long for those trees became a bit of history, in fact within a few days when they dry out they will be ash. Next question is what to plant in their place. Donna and I both want a shrub that doesn't grow much taller than 4 feet and flowers all summer...all suggestion will be considered. Deer resistant would be appreciated.  


This is the view of the fence from our front patio where the 8 trees where taken out. Can you imagine 8-70 foot tall, 25 feet wide trees blocking this beautiful view...morons is all I can say.


Donna was my supervisor today. We bought some annuals to color up the back patio and after my compost saga the other day I wasn't planting anything without the bosses ok.


I'm partial to the peonies flower for the front but have heard the blossoms are so big and heavy they will droop to the ground in wind or rain.


Spring wind and rain came to us today. I love seeing clouds that tend to boil underneath, you just know a good one is coming when you see this.


Donna has put her beading to work by replacing the simple chains on all the hanging baskets to her homemade plant holders. They look so much better now.

Till next time.....






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow….. you don’t mess around, when it comes to landscaping. Missed your calling..! Good move getting rid of those Cypress trees…
Jack