Monday, June 16, 2014

FIRST FAWN OF THE YEAR....and Landscaping and Gardening 301

I recently had a complaint that no update on our garden has been posted for a while. I agree and apologize... but with other things going on I have been absent minded the last few months and will try to keep things updated more often.
Here are the latest photos of the garden and some landscaping to boot. (and a special surprise and the end)



One of my pride and joys have been the potato plants to the right. They must be easy to grow because they are looking the best. Today I back filled the potato plants with more soil, otherwise the tuber will be green when harvested or so says the garden book.


Our tomatoes plants are, some good...some not so good! I ripped out three plants this afternoon which I suspected had verticillium wilt, two of which were my biggest and had small fruit already.


The banana, crookneck and zucchini squash are slow growing in my opinon. The large one on the right was just bought this afternoon but the rest were seeded squash that broke ground three weeks ago and still look small or stunted to me.


The Leyland Cyprus that I yanked out a week ago have been replaced with four colors of Potentilla's and at a maximum of 4 foot tall, they will never block our view.


It rained most of the night but cleared early today with lots of sunshine to dry out the lawn. This was a good chance to mow the front and back seeing that tomorrow is another iffy day.


This is a contrast between our lawn that is cut, and the section of land I have left fallow. The uncut portion is about 18 to 20 inches tall. I might need something other than our mower if I ever decide to trim it.


As advertised, the first fawn of the year. I was just pulling out of the driveway to see if I could photograph a cougar I saw about a mile from the house, as it crossed Gold Creek Rd. Not knowing if they are creatures of habit I thought I'd spend the evening hours staking out the spot when my neighbor Christie called. Christie said a new fawn (could barely walk) and mother went from their yard across the street to ours.
I got excited and drove to the back of the property and saw the mother skedaddle up front. I did not see where the baby was but Donna spotted the little one holed up at the very far end of our yard. I know they have the instinct for laying low and not moving regardless, but I still didn't want to push or stress her out so I just used my telephoto lens.
The mother has been browsing the yard for two hours and the baby is still like a statue where this picture was taken.
My lawn cutting was just in time for our new visitors.



No comments: