Sunday, July 15, 2012

In and around Irrigon

Our grandson loves making a wish and blowing dandelion puff balls. He would have a field day here.


Personally I have never see any puff balls as large as these, they were the size of a tennis ball.


Irrigation pivots, whether they be half circle or full circle, fascinate me,    here in Irrigon where there must be thousands. The tanks are used to apply disease controlling agents like Chloronil.  


Some of the pivots are more than a 1/4 mile long, applying just the right amount of water to every part if the field.


We went to Walla Walla, Wa for the day but had to stop in the little town of Touchet, WA. Some call it "touch-it" some "touche' or a few call the town "to cheat" but whatever the case, I wanted to see the wine barrel furniture.


Most of the beautiful woodwork all come the old wine barrels and are very, very expensive.


All around the Walla Walla hills are golden wheat fields.
Next time you have a bite of muffin or bread think about these beautiful wheat kernels.



        In the alfalfa fields near Walla Walla were these boxes on every ten acres or so which were baffling to Donna and I. Finally I saw a lady near a farm house, stopped and asked...bee boxes for honey bee's to pollinate the alfalfa.


Well, we made it to the Walla Walla Onion Festival. We tourist sure don't embarrass easily. 


You just can't go to an onion festival without buying a bag or two.


When we got home I was surprised to find a ripe, home grown tomato...our first in 25 years.


Today we woke to some hellacious winds. This is not the day you want to be boating on the Columbia. 


I've yet to see our proud flag wave this rigidly before today.


Three days earlier Donna and I had cleaned up the small orchard they have on property here. I almost had to laugh when I saw what the wind did to the apricot trees. Well, it did need to be thinned out anyway!
















No comments: