Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A dirt road to Big Bear...



Exploring a dirt road is like trying to eat one potato chip...just can't stop! I started in Pioneer Town in Yucca Valley, Ca at a dirt road that led from there, 17 miles to Big Bear, Ca. This is a rough road and I thought I'd try to go as far as the car would allow...turns out it allowed me to go all the way due to the lack of snow this year.

                         Pioneer Town is a tourist town made up to look like a town from, say the 1900's?



                                                     Did I mention it was tough country?


How can you stop driving a dirt road that is still passible. 


At times and particularly the last mile at the 8000 foot elevation were a little worrisome.

 

                  My Nana's cabin in Big Bear was old looking when she bought it in ....1960. 52 years ago today in 2012 and it still looks very much the same as it did  in 1960, (OLD)


                            This is the cabin my father built in 1961 or 62, one block from nana's where we vacationed for the next ten years.


I will say the road and snow from the current storm were of concern.


I promised my wife I would be careful...so I waited for the snow plow to lead the way.


This road block was behind me when I came down the mountain.







No comments: