Monday, December 12, 2016

Whitewater Preserve...December 2016 Blog #414


Carla and I are heading up to the preserve for a mornings hike.


As I was speeding down the hill, 1/2 mile from our RV park, I quickly glanced at the RV resort I was passing and mentioned to Carla that I had never seen any swan's in that pond. Of course I just had to turn around and look again, only to find out they were American White Pelicans. I know they nest inland in Northern California, just not often do you see them in the desert.


Carla wanted to know if we were going south to Mexico, or north to Canada.


There was a fair amount of water flowing down to the Coachella Valley although about two miles downstream from here the Whitewater River, if you can call it a river, disappears underground.


The canyon, which is breathtaking, is formed by the water rushing down from Southern California's highest mountain...San Gorgonio.


Mmm...south or north on the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail. (its full name but many just call it the PCT)


The object of our hike today was Red Dome. I had at one time thought it might be part of the Morrison Formation that was laid down some 150 million years ago, until I sheepishly learned it was just from a volcanic mud flow.


From a distance, Red Dome does not look all that impressive...until we walked to its base.


Being 20 feet up on top of Red Dome afforded us a wonderful view.
That's it for today...only thing missing here was our stop that I filmed at the wind generating fields on the way to Palm Springs. Every windy day we can view tons of smog flowing through the San Gorgonio Pass into the Coachella Valley.






No comments: