Saturday, August 6, 2016

Experiments, inspired by my daughter-in-law... Lisa Blog # 409

Lisa, my daughter-in-law is constantly opening my grandson's eyes by doing experiments, why shouldn't I...even at the age of 68 learn a few things?



Not being a very good cook (and a little intimidated by the kitchen) my girlfriend's sister, Cherie, said I should try this recipe ..."to die for ribs".




The first words out of Cherie's mouth were "crockpot"! Little did she know that I had an extreme aversion to crockpot dishes. I had an ex-girlfriend who insisted on "tuna casseroles", to which I found disgusting. Because of this, I never wanted anything in a crockpot...as much as Donna would beg.




I'll do it! It's not like I can eat the same old BBQ'd steak, night after night. Braise the ribs were the first instruction and it is no surprise I forgot one of the instructions...lightly put some olive oil on braising pan...it wasn't easy to clean after that mistake.




After braising the ribs, add ketchup, chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce, Lipton onion soup mix, minced garlic, salt, pepper, one cup of beef broth and one cup of red wine...preferably a good "box" cabernet sauvignon, and crockpot it...on low for 8 hours.




Plated!




The meat literally fell off the bone.




Ya...you can tell I didn't like it, haha. 




While the meat was cooking in the crockpot, I moved on to the next project. I have been saving my bits and pieces of soap, too small to use, but being on Social Security...I need to save when I can.



The instructions for remolding soap are; use a grater and turn the soap into small pieces. Well, I looked high and low and can't believe Donna left me without a grater...but none was found, so I improvised.


I used our pounder thingy to chop the soap up.


Two hours later, while getting the wok out for veggies, I noticed the contraption...it must be  grater that I have never seen before...thank you, Donna, I knew you wouldn't leave me hanging.


Soap flakes, with a scooch of water, all ready for the microwave.




So for 45 seconds at a time, I heat the soap.



If I didn't keep my eye on the bowl, it would foam up and overflow.


After the soap became soft and supple, I used a cobbler dish with cellophane to stop any sticking and used the glass to smoothen it out.


The soap should be left to dry out and harden for approximately a week, sitting on the woodstove works for me. All done with the second experiment.


What the hell does this have to do with experiments...nothing!
On my walk today I noticed this red barn and wood fence. I love wood fences and unbeknownst to Carla, who mentioned to me that she loves red barns...red barns were a thing with Donna too...weird. 

Today was not a total success I must admit.


I had a boat load of tomatoes, more than you see here, and I thought I might make some salsa. I have made salsa years ago but looked it up on the internet. The most well-received recipe included "cumin"...a spice I haven't worked with before.


I added garlic...because I add garlic to everything...but I will toss the whole batch out because of the taste. I think the cumin is not a spice I particularly care for...should of stuck to my original recipe, but I'll have more tomatoes tomorrow...so no harm.
Two out three is not a bad average!







No comments: