Friday, March 28, 2014

Gardening 102



Gardening 29.53 miles from the Canadian border does present its own set of problems. I got the mileage from a Google ruler tool.


This is by the "crow flies" measurement because if you tried driving to Canada you should add about 10 more miles to this estimate.


Two days after I plant my first crop of onions, I wake up to this snow storm. Lying in bed I got my first inkling with the blinds drawn...it was so, so quiet. Not that it is noisy here, but when the snow falls without any wind it tends to deaden all, even the smallest sounds. The onions will be just fine and I am glad I got the irrigation system in before this small storm. My brother thought this was a great winter storm, too bad it's spring!


For whatever reason I love the sight of our "guard owl" with snow on it's head that we received from my son at Christmas. It is supposed to flap and scare animals away when the wind blows through it (we don't get much wind but when we do the owl pretty much does...nothing...ha ha) but I like looking out the window and seeing our "northern snow owl"...working or not.

Ps. guess if it worked there wouldn't be snow accumulating on it...right?

Funny story...to me anyhow. I text (not texted) the photo to my sister and told her he was my guard owl. She in turn wondered how I got such a beautiful photo of an owl on our patio...I replied "put on your glasses"!


No comments: