Monday, May 27, 2013

Idaho City on a whirlwind tour.


I saw a house in an area that we'd been thinking about in southern Idaho, so I just had to look at it. "Donna... do you feel like a 1200 mile trip in 36 hours?" "I wouldn't expect any less of you honey...let's go!" So off we went from Florence, Oregon to Idaho City, Idaho but unfortunately we found out this isn't the area we should be looking at so I can quit getting property updates from there. The trip was not a total loss, we had some fun looking at new scenery. 


Donna and I are like two kids on Halloween with a full bag of candy whenever we find birds of prey...but especially our nations symbol of power, the American Bald Eagle. We saw no less than ten eagles like this family with two immature juveniles, not to mention the dozens of hawks and falcons.


We left Florence about 11:00am and got to Boise about 10:30pm on a Saturday Memorial weekend night, with no reservation...great planning on my part. We got the  second to last "Motel 6" room near the airport. It has been about 30 years since I last stayed at Motel 6...hey, what happened to the bed vibrator that you put quarts in. 
Anywho...we started our trip in the morning heading up highway 21 and this is our first stop, the historic 1909 Diversion Dam on the Boise River.


This diversion dam provides irrigation and drinking water to Boise, Idaho area.


Boy, I'd sure like to have my fly rod and an Idaho fishing license about now.



There is so much to see I only wish I had time to do it.


This is the Lucky Peak Dam 


Below the Lucky Peak Dam is a recreational area.


Bridge? What is my fascination with bridges...same as birds of prey I guess.


While driving up the canyon I noticed a pair geese sitting together right next to the road, one looked like it had been hit by a car (because it had its head down and sitting very still).  When I walked back to photo of the goose standing by its dead mate, I find she, or he, was just faking it because the family were all swimming on the river.  Actually, I guess the goose that I thought had been hit was hiding its head in their feathers and most likely tending to her brood under wing


Wow...10 miles from Riley, Oregon (yes the town was named after our 
grandson, LOL)  we ran into a storm that both my boys would love to see. If I had more time I would of sat there and waited for this monster to go over the top of me, but alas, I have a home to get to!



3 comments:

Teri said...

Wow.... great storm pic! You should post on NWS page!

Teri said...

Oh AND FOR THE RECORD... YES SHOUTING.... DONNA IS A SAINT!

Unknown said...

Of course she...we all knew that when she agreed to marry me:-)