Friday, May 11, 2012

Fish hatchery duties

           The state of Oregon would like us to accommodate them with about 40 hours of work combined, which can be 30 hours me and 10 Donna or visa versa. These hours can be watering, giving tours, gardening or the stuff I really like doing...fishy things, :-)

              This is called "doing the morts" Three times a week the dead fish are taken from each raceway, counted and entered into computer in order to keep track of an average for the raceway mortality count. If something goes awry, then hopefully the hatchery will be on top of it soon enough to make a correction.



Here's Donna walking out to the highway mail box, which is a half mile away...well you gotta get hours in some how right?


This is Donna and my gardening project. We had pulled out most of the plants, then replaced all with daffodils and irises that were growing wild in the meadow.


                       Stocking the local lakes ( if you consider local...120 miles away) is optional for us but the way I see it, I get to see beautiful country, talk to the hatchery manager for 8 hours and...did I say, sit on my ass for 8 of my 40 hours? We dropped some fish off at Paiute Lake, off hwy 140 near the Nevada border.


Paiute Lake was a mud hole that I could not even find on the map!


The water was so muddy that the fish were swimming back to shore because they couldn't tell the difference between the bank of the lake and the water. I've only been a "fish farmer" for less than two weeks, so what do I know?


Once a week the flood gates are opened on the raceways and they ( I wanted to do it too) sweep the bottom to stir up all the fecal matter which is then flushed down stream to clean the raceway.


My favorite job...tooling around the "south 40" looking for pine cones or sticks to pick up.











No comments: