Saturday, April 16, 2016

Hanging Baskets 101



Donna and I both like color and plants, so it's safe to assume I'll continue this hobby into the future. We've been hanging baskets the last two years, but they were already planted and grown for us. The high school has a hot house and its horticulture class makes hanging baskets for sale every spring. Even though they are only $15, and store bought are around $30, this year I thought I'd try my to make my own.




I head over to Wynne Street Nursery, which is only open from April to October. Now, I could gone to "Wally Mart" down the street, but you just don't get to service and knowledge that a local nursery provides. Sure, the plants are a few cents more, but with all this bitching about America outsourcing it's jobs and manufacturing to other countries...I like supporting local businesses.


This is one of the reasons I'd like to make my own basket this year. Sure, these baskets are month further along then mine, but I have time...I hope. (My father always joked later in life when one of us would go to the market for him..."don't buy any green bananas". Why? "I might not last until they ripen"


Michelle is the other reason for going to this nursery. Not only is she smart and helpful, but a ray of sunshine and cute too. Michelle set me up with the right plants for my baskets, depending on whether it was going to be afternoon sunshine or morning sun and some "Black Gold" potting soil.


I put half the bag of Black Gold in the wheelbarrow, along with sand and vermiculite. I'd say 3/5ths potting mix, 1/5 sand and 1/5 vermiculite.


I add enough water to the mix so it does not try to suck out the moisture from the potted plant as soon as they are mated.


All set to plant some baskets with...Empress Verbena, Fuchsia, Tapien, Mini Cascade Geranium and an Ivy Geranium. The Fuchsia go in the back because they get plenty of morning sun, but not the harsh afternoon blast.


As you can see, the basket is nearly ready at this point.


Here I start adding  "A Touch of Donna" to the hanging basket.


Originally the baskets were supported with only the beaded string and hooks that Donna made. She love beading, but we found out that first summer...when we'd pick up baskets off the patio floor, that the string suggested was not strong enough over time to support the weight of the soil when wet. Donna was so upset upon finding the first basket on the ground and beads everywhere that I was put in charge of finding every single one of those little buggers so she could re-string it.
My idea was to use chain to carry the load, and wrap the bead string around it...so it appeared to be the "support", we haven't lost one since.


Here is the back patio basket, full of fuchsia's


Here are my two front patio baskets. I figure, all total, it cost me about $11 a basket...plus I get to put what I want in them, not what someone else decided. (other than Michelle that is) Time will tell whether I did a good job or not...check back later.


Next project, sitting in the garage under a grow lights are some veggies. Tomato, peppers, squash and zuccini just dying to be planted!






No comments: