Saturday, November 21, 2015

What Thanksgiving meant to Donna.

 I have never known another person that puts Thanksgiving on such equal billing as Christmas... Donna was that person.


There was only one way to cook a proper turkey according to Donna. Unfortunately, I never asked or watch how she did it... nor being much of a cook myself watch closely. I do know that a heavily buttered paper bag from the grocery store seems to be the key. Not once, in 39 years, did I ever see anything other than a "perfect" bird from this woman...that's a tough record to beat.


I've mentioned in the past that Donna "loved" to sleep in, not really much of a morning person. The exception is Thanksgiving. Donna would happily get up at the crack of dawn to get the turkey in the oven...just so she could go back to sleep for a few hours more.


When the bird came out of the oven, for how long and hot is was supposed to be, I never saw a frown when it was uncovered.


It wasn't just the turkey that she loved...it was the "whole" dinner that would put her in another world...I never understood it, but I loved how happy it made her.


I'll bet RiRi has a better understanding on how to do a Thanksgiving dinner than I do.


She loved being with friends on Thanksgiving. (Yes, I know it's not Thanksgiving here...just friends) Friends had been so special for her!


Donna decorated as much on Thanksgiving, as Christmas. She found these RiRi and Ashley scarecrows somewhere.


Grandkids...so special!


Our family was her family...so special.


Her own family...so, so very special!


Even on the road after we retired, do you think someone could  possibly cook turkey in a convection oven, with all the fixings? Think not...Donna surprised me with a wonderful dinner that I had not thought possible, in the Motorhome.


Ok...maybe it wasn't a full bird type of Thanksgiving dinner, but I swear to god, you could not tell the difference...it was the love she put in it that made all the difference.


This last dinner, just a month or two from being diagnosed with leukemia was the only crack in the 39 years of Thanksgivings and its significations eluded me at the time. The turkey was perfect as usual, but Donna forgot to boil potatoes for the dinner, which are normally a no brainer, and I was of little help. She was so upset and demanded that she be allowed to do the mashed potatoes, regardless of the fact that all else was hot and on the table. This was the only time in our 39 years that I had to take her by the shoulders while she was crying and tell her NO!...we will eat and do potatoes later, which we did. I've never seen her this upset before...ever. Of course in hindsight, leukemia floods the body with white blood cells, which crowd out oxygen rich red blood cells our brains so desperately need, so early effects should have been noticed by me at this time had I been more observant...but I wasn't!


Cheers to my sweetie, who for so many years not only put a smile on my Thanksgiving day, but many others also! 





No comments: