Friday, July 3, 2015

Now, instead of wind... we have fires!

Well, I guess the stupid season is upon us. Someone playing with fireworks (according to the radio) started a pretty big fire on the opposite side of the valley from me.



The fire is five or so air miles from the house, but things are so freaking dry this year, I am surprised fireworks are even legal.




As I drove down the hill to investigate (being noisy) I can see that this may be a serious problem for firefighters as the fire raced up the hillside.





Some of the flames are much taller than the 80 foot pine trees nearby. 


Besides racing up the hill, flames are bursting out at a much lower level fanned by winds.


I have to say that this is the first time I witnessed a Chinook Helicopter dropping water.


This poor guy had trouble finding a deep enough place in our drought starved Colville River to fill up. There was also a tanker and small single engine with pontoons that I suspect glided over to the Columbia to fill up.
Wish us luck this weekend.






No comments: