Saturday, May 31, 2014

The saga of my compost pile.......!


When we took possession of our "last house ever" there was a small pile which I identified as compost but in reality it could very well of been just a leaf pile, near the driveway entrance.


I had added to the original pile some left over winter deer alfalfa and horse manure we got for free from the Northeastern County Fair months earlier.



From an earlier blog, Riley (our grandson) is showing Opa just how much mulch we have.




Here is the compost pile a week ago, as I start to relocate it. (WTF?)

Seems Donna thought that being near the driveway and in full view of our neighbors wasn't the best place for it. Donna suggested that I move it, "BEHIND" the garage. Ok, just to keep peace in our house I went about the next two days moving the mulch, wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow. 



Here is part of the pile "BEHIND" the garage that until a day ago was much bigger. It seems when Donna says "BEHIND the garage she really didn't mean it literally. Wouldn't a better place be "BEHIND" the garage but near the firewood stack?




GRRRR!
 Ok, Donna is probably right about this being better place behind the woodpile and next to the garden, but could we be a bit more specific next time?




Ok, about 3 1/2 square yards of mulch have been moved...for a third time...and on retrospect it does seem to be a more appropriate spot for the compost. I'm liking this back area, "BEHIND" the garage as a great place to stack 4 cords of wood but I think I'll get the ok from Donna first this time.




I put a few posts in the ground and had this piece of plywood hanging around just waiting to be put to use. Every time I pounded one of the posts into the ground I kept saying to myself "wonder where the underground electrical and water lines are"?




What we won't do to keep peace in the family, huh? It all worked out beautifully and I fully agree, now that the manual labor is done this was a much better area...out of sight yet near to where I will need it. 
I'm nearly done...WHAT?




After the original sight was strip of the compost I needed to level and then re-seed it for grass. I tried having this area classified as a federal hazardous "superfund" site and maybe get a little government help in cleaning it up but Donna said..."keep dreaming, babe" 






No comments: