Thursday, June 13, 2013

West of the Willamette near near Salem, Oregon




It was a rainy day but I wanted to show Donna a surprise I found on the internet...we found an even larger surprise later down the road.



The Willamette River accumulates more and more of its volume as if moves towards the mighty Columbia from the countless rivers, streams and brooks feeding the main river.



I was looking on google for a place to visit this cloudy day and happened to notice one road very near us that shows a dotted line across the Willamette River and I took a closer look. Hey...a ferry and it's still in business.




I think the Balboa Island Ferry in California is the last time I'd been on one that you can actually drive a car straight onto, but that one is more of a tourist attraction. The Wheatland Ferry is an actual working ferry that eliminates the need to build a bridge.




Donna was happy that I had found this little jewel of the area.




The captain of the S.S. Minnow was kind enough to allow me to shoot a quick shot of the bridge and jokingly asked..."you're not from around here, are you"? ha ha




Near the ferry we caught sight of a few of our favorite critters like this squirrel.



A large osprey nest with mama peering over the side.


"Are you looking at me?...I said, are you looking at me"? Donna spotted the male on a nearby power pole.


"Your bugging me dude...I'm out of here"!


I'm am still trying to figure out how I got out of focus, in focus then out and then in again...kind of 3D.



Inside the Willamette Mission State Park is the nations largest black cottonwood.


Although if you look at a few other signs within the park and the internet, it is the "worlds" largest black cottonwood...how about that!


This huge mechanical watering devices are called "squirters" that can shoot water nearly 100 yards away.


 The old Willamette Mission is outlined here in steel, where it used to stand back in 1844. The religious zealots of the day tried converting the local indians but things fell apart and the mission only lasted 7 years before leaving the area.


A little local color on the trail to the long, gone mission.


The second surprise. While flying down a country road near Dayton, Oregon we passed this beautiful driveway and then some flower fields. I turned around and checked that there were no "keep out or no trespassing" signs... so we went in.


Monrovia's office building reminded me of an extremely large craftsman home. Beautifully proportioned, lots of woodwork and landscaping to die for! I talked to the receptionist and asked if it was okay to see the grounds and she said that all was okay except the work yard...cool. I then asked why there were no signs directing tourist here and she replied that if they stop, fine...if not, that is ok too.


Monrovia Nursery had about a an acre or two in front, jammed packed with outstanding plants, ground-cover and trees, all with identity plaques describing the biological name and common name.


The well cared for plants were all in bloom for us this spring. I have seen the Monrovia Nursery name in the past and now I know where it comes from. They have four different areas that total 2000 acres for growing plants in the U.S.


What a beautiful sight to see and this is the one that made us turn around, thankfully. I asked about buying directly from the grower but unfortunately they only sell wholesale and don't have a factory store...darn.


While Monrovia Nursery is not listed in tour guides but if you are in the area, do stop and enjoy.




No comments: