Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Eagle Mountain Mine

I asked Donna if she wanted to take another ride with me exploring but she said there was something she did not want to miss on TV. What I asked...she replied the weather channel! Ok, I get the hint, off I go.

 The Eagle Mountain Mine started out years earlier as a gold mine that soon petered out. Some years later (in the mid 40's-80's) Henry Kaiser, an early century industrial personality, needed iron ore for his steel mill in Fontana, California. Seems the iron ore content of the rock at Eagle Mountain was 50 percent and above...perfect for old Henry's purposes.




Now a days Kaiser would like to use the huge mine as garbage dump because many of Los Angeles area dumps are nearing capacity, but first all lawsuits directed at the mine must be resolved.



  I am not fond of using other peoples photos but seeing that the mine and ghost town are off limits and completely fenced off to the general public, google earth is the best way I can show the size. The mine is approximately 6 miles long and 2 miles wide. (most not shown)




I was blocked from most of the typical routes into the mine.




After a few dozen miles driving on and around dirt roads I was able to get closer.




I was blocked here but there was no sign saying to stay out (most likely because it was a 3 mile dirt road) so I wandered in as far as I could risk.




    This road was open to me but all the streets were fenced off.


               
         The steeple looks to be on it's last leg.


         
The railroad has not been used since 1986.


Even though it's not been in use for over 20 years, I guess the rail company or county found the need to put new signs on a nearly extinct crossing.


Just a mile or two south of the mine was a new energy source. This solar field was at least a mile long and half a mile wide.


When I left the area I took Hwy 177 north towards Parker and happened to see this pivot and wondered about it's age and when it was last used. There are limbs growing on both sides that have to be years old...besides, what the heck were they watering?


I did not realize just how far east the Joshua Tree National Park extended, all the way to Hwy 177.




          Things tend to die slowly in the desert.




                                Very typical desert art.


I finally got to see some desert wildlife, cute little guys ...huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good history teacher you are Tom, the mine was really active during the WWII years, steel for the ships and the war effort.
Joe

Anonymous said...

Active till 1983, and thousands of people lived and worked there when I was a kid there '65 to '71.