Friday, November 23, 2012

Callville Bay on Lake Mead, Nevada

After Death Valley we stopped in Las Vegas at the Oasis Luxury RV Park, what a mistake. Besides them having water problem that required excavating and turning off the water at times, it smelled! We needed to stay in the Vegas are for doctors visits and catching up with friends.



We soon moved to Callville Bay campground some 25 miles from town...what a difference. Although there were no hook ups, we have solar and a generator so no problem there, it was perfectly quiet, sparse of visitors and the weather kicked butt! $5 a day gets you a huge site with showers and flush toilets.


Just outside the campground are a series of hikes, some of which take you up a hill overlooking the lake.


My morning walk always included a strenuous 1/4 mile hike up the boat ramp. On this morning I knew they were going to pull a houseboat out for the season so I boogied back to the camp site for my camera.


Quite impressive to watch them pull the 50,000 pound houseboat from the lake up the 19 degree ramp. We have in the past rented a houseboat but now a days they are way too expensive for my blood.


Few things, while camping, are as relaxing as a nice campfire.


What can I say...to each their own.


Literally just minutes from Callville are some of the most outstanding landscapes in the west.


There are a number of 4x4 roads that when they say 4x4...they mean it.


Here is the "world famous" Las Vegas River. Wild trout, catch and release and I am surprised I don't see fishermen in float tubes on the water. (na, its the Vegas Wash, all the street runoff going into the lake)


A view of the Las Vegas Strip some 17 miles away through the trees of the bankrupt Lake Las Vegas resort.


Enjoying lunch overlooking the lake, did someone say "treat".


From the lake road we can see the entrance for the $1,000,000,000
intake tunnel project under Lake Mead that was prompted because of the falling water levels of the last 10 years.













3 comments:

Denny said...

Doh! I was like, wow there's a Las Vegas River with trout & I never knew it, then I got to the end. :-P

Enjoying the blog!

Denny said...

Almost forgot, I thought the brown trailer was the local potty before I figured it out. Tired what can I say.

Unknown said...

HaHa, you like the Las Vegas river Den...lol
Just thought it looked good from a distance
but it still smelled.