Sunday, June 5, 2016

The story of "Mystery Meat"


Some of you may think I am bored this Sunday because it's too hot to play outside, but I've had it in my mind to do this blog for a while and now is as good a time as any.

Mystery meat, just what is it? Am I talking about road kill or found a package of unmarked meat? No...


I can't lay claim to the term "mystery meat", that came from someone I was going to buy steaks and cook dinner for them. This person flatly stated they were not going to eat meat from Safeway's Manager's Special bin...calling it mystery meat.

I rather liked the term and use it to this day whenever I'm in the mood for steak.



According to the butcher there really is no mystery at all. They like to put out fresh steaks in the morning and the ones from last night go into the manager's special bin. The butcher also says it will still be good a week from now in my refrigerator. "Besides, it's called aging the beef", he said.




This same USDA Choice Ribeye was $14.99 per lbs yesterday and is now 30% off. Some days I'll score 50% off on Porterhouse steaks. 


When you are retired and trying to live off your Social Security, every little bit helps...thank you Safeway.😀









No comments: